Regular checkups with your dentist are important to maintain good levels of oral health and to spot any potential issues before they become greater problems.
12 point oral health check
During your routine checkup we follow our 12 point oral health check which allows us to assess every aspect of your oral health, and to ensure any issues are dealt with quickly and effectively.
- We will start by discussing any concerns you have with your teeth and gums and any changes you’ve experienced since your last visit
- We identify any medical conditions and medication you’re taking that may be affecting the health of your mouth
- We will examine existing dental work to ensure it’s still effective, including fillings, crowns, bridges and implants etc
- We will check for signs of plaque which is major cause of gum problems
- We will check for signs of gum disease and advise on methods to keep your gums healthy
- We will screen you for mouth cancer and if any signs are identified we’ll refer you to a specialist immediately
- We will assess your bite to ensure it’s in a good functional state of health
- We will check your teeth for signs of wear, which may be due to stress, and advise on ways to prevent excessive wearing
- We will check your jaw and jaw joint to ensure correct alignment and normal movement
- Where appropriate, we’ll take x-rays to check for signs of decay, the health of a root or any other issues we want to investigate
- For children we’ll ensure the teeth are growing correctly, check their alignment, provide preventative treatments such as fissure sealants and fluoride treatments where appropriate and reinforce the importance of brushing and taking care of your teeth
- On completion of our oral health check we’ll make any recommendations and provide an individual treatment plan to resolve problems and achieve your goals
If you need any dental treatments we can provide a full range of services. All our dental care is tailored to the individual, and your dentist will take the time to understand your needs and develop a dental plan, whether than is a routine filling or more complex treatment.
Regular dental checkups benefits
- Regular check-ups allow dental issues to be caught early, or to be prevented altogether
- Your dentist can check you are brushing your teeth correctly, thus improving oral health
- The examination covers risk factors for gum disease, decay, mouth cancer and tooth wear
Regular dental checkups FAQs
- Will a check-up hurt?
A dental check-up is a routine appointment and will not be painful. Regular appointments are important to help prevent problems in the future.
- Will it just be my teeth that are examined?
We pride ourselves on a thorough 12 point oral health examination that covers your gums, teeth and oral health. Dentistry is about more than just teeth, and we strive to offer as comprehensive a service as possible.